Mould is a serious threat to human and animal health, and it can also cause extensive and costly damage to buildings. In Ottawa, the discovery of mould had huge consequences for a national institution.
The Canada Science and Technology Museum is reopening on November 17, 2017 to much fanfare. The museum has been closed since 2014 after the discovery of toxic mould triggered a huge remediation and restoration project.
The mould removal project came to be part of an $80.5 million renovation and upgrade investment. The project involved several components,
- Mould removal;
- Replacement of the roof;
- Other physical upgrades.
The second point is particularly important. If you’re not going to fix the problem and ensure it won’t repeat, then you’re going to end up in a never ending cycle of mould infestation.
- Inspection, maintenance, and permanent repairs to any issues are your keys to avoiding mould in the first place.
It really can’t be overemphasized. You don’t save yourself money by delaying needed repairs – you’re costing yourself more later on when it comes to not only the mould removal process, but replacing whatever has been damaged by it.
After clearing the air of toxic mould spores, the 7,400-square-metre (80,000-square-foot) Museum will feature a new interactive exhibit on the five senses, called “Medical Sensations”. The show is based on the plans that were already on the books in 2014 when mould put the brakes on it.
A Leaky Roof Makes Headlines
When the mould was first discovered, it made for dramatic national headlines as the building was abruptly evacuated. It’s apparent that the Museum’s staff took the threat of mould exposure seriously. One spokes person noted that overall mould exposure is on the rise in what they called an “age of mould.” Identifying the mould isn’t really necessary. As one expert put it bluntly, “No mould that grows on a building material is good for you.”
The cause of the Museum’s woes were one that many home and property owners will empathize with – a leaky roof. Water can wander in any direction in a home, and end up in the attic, behind walls and between floors where you don’t see it.
- You may notice a persistent musty odour that may seem to come from a specific location, or may seem more general in terms of dispersion;
- Once it has gotten into your HVAC system, the mould spores can show up anywhere in your home;
- You may notice physical symptoms such as persistent itchy eyes, nose, and throat, coughing or other respiratory issues.
We Can Help
If your home contains mould, we can help. You can trust the experienced mould removal experts at Green Stream Environmental to take care of your environmental issues. In the Toronto area contact Environmental at (416) 818-9414. Contact us for a quote today.
Featured in Mike Holmes’ magazine, HGTV’s Income Properties, W Network’s Love It Or List It and chosen by Homestars.com as “Best Toronto Asbestos Removal Company” based on customer ratings and reviews, GreenStream Environmental Services are fully-certified, trusted and insured professionals in the removal and disposal of commercial, industrial, institutional and residential asbestos, vermiculite and mould (hazardous and non-hazardous). Providing emergency service 24/7/365 for all of Toronto and the GTA (North York, Mississauga, Markham, Brampton, Scarborough, Ajax, Oshawa, and beyond) GreenStream has over 40 combined years of experience serving clients such as the City of Toronto, the Toronto District School Board and many more. For a free estimate in Toronto, the GTA and Southern Ontario, call today at 416-818-9414. You’ll be glad you did.