Since mould occurs wherever there is moisture, you may be under the impression that the freezing cold temperatures of winter mean you can relax about at least one common household hazard.
Unfortunately, your optimism would be misplaced.
This winter, Toronto and the GTA has seen its fair share of nasty weather, including mounds of snow, followed by days of freezing and liquid rain, followed be a re-freeze.
- As the ice melts and rain falls, it can develop into streams running around – and sometimes very close – to your home.
- Water may drain right into your basement.
Along with what’s occurring outdoors, your home creates its own environment.
- Where there is heavy snowfall, followed by days of cold temperatures, the warmer air in your home may leak out through the attic.
- This causes the snow and ice on your roof to melt.
- The melted water will drain underneath the rest of the snow, along your roof, but is likely to re-freeze as it reaches the edge, forming icicles and ice dams.
- Ice dams can actually damage the roof, causing water to leak into your attic.
Now that moisture is in your home, mould growth becomes a distinct possibility.
- Where there is lingering moisture, mould can develop within 48 hours.
- Mould can develop in the walls, floors, and ceilings, where you don’t see it.
- Mould spores can also enter your HVAC system, spreading throughout your home.
The general rule of thumb when it comes to mould prevention is this: maintenance.
- Keep an eye on the area around your home, and remove whatever ice you can.
- Make sure that any snow and ice formations flow away from your home – not towards it.
- Make sure your attic is properly insulated to prevent heat leaks.
- Make sure there are no other pathways for warm, moist air to leak to the attic through stairways, walls, or other areas.
- Vent your dryer and stove to the outside of the building and not into the attic.
Mould In Your Home? – We Can Help
Mould is associated with numerous health risks, including chronic problems of the nose, throat, and respiratory tract, persistent coughing, worsened allergies, and more. If you have mould in your home, a simple cleansing with bleach just won’t do the trick.
Let us help.
Our mould removal experts have years of experience, and will ensure that your environmental issue is eliminated efficiently. Mould can grow into walls, floors, and even carpets. If you smell that telltale musty odour, give us a call.
Let our technicians help keep you and your family safe. In the Toronto area call GreenStream Environmental at (416) 818-9414. Contact us for a quote today.
Featured in Mike Holmes’ magazine, HGTV’s Income Properties, W Network’s Love It Or List It and chosen by Homestars.com as “Best Toronto Asbestos Removal Company” based on customer ratings and reviews, GreenStream Environmental Services are fully-certified, trusted and insured professionals in the removal and disposal of commercial, industrial, institutional and residential asbestos, vermiculite and mould (hazardous and non-hazardous). Providing emergency service 24/7/365 for all of Toronto and the GTA (North York, Mississauga, Markham, Brampton, Scarborough, Ajax, Oshawa, and beyond) GreenStream has over 40 combined years of experience serving clients such as the City of Toronto, the Toronto District School Board and many more. For a free estimate in Toronto, the GTA and Southern Ontario, call today at 416-818-9414. You’ll be glad you did.