Asbestos removal and remediation are a growing industry across the globe. One survey, using data from all over the world, found that asbestos removal was growing at an average rate of about 24 percent overall.
Asbestos Bans—And Asbestos Awareness
Canada joined with more than 50 other countries in introducing a complete ban on asbestos. Colombia has since joined that club, with many calling for a similar ban in the United States.
Even before the asbestos ban, the naturally occurring and yet potentially deadly substance was making headlines across the country and around the world.
While it has not been used in construction purposes since about the mid-1980s in Canada, there are factors that make it a present threat rather than ancient history.
- There are many homes that still contain asbestos or asbestos containing materials (ACM);
- Even where some asbestos removal or remediation was done, it can still show up in many areas of your home literally from floor to ceiling;
- The health effects of asbestos exposure take decades to manifest themselves;
- If the first wave of asbestos victims were manufacturing and other workers of the early 20th century, the second wave are home repairs, renovations, and demolitions workers who are exposed from existing materials as they work.
The numbers worldwide—and here at home—are sobering.
- The World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that globally 125 million people are exposed to asbestos every year.
- According to the International Labour Organization, over 107,000 die every year from asbestos related diseases, including deadly mesothelioma.
- It is estimated that more than 152,000 Canadians have been exposed to asbestos at work.
Because it was, until very recently, one of the world’s major sources of asbestos through mining, Canada has one of the highest rates of asbestos disease in the world. Asbestos was once used in over 3,000 different building materials.
It’s No Joke
While the growing numbers seem alarming, there is a flip side to the situation. Maybe, in the near future, we can look forward to a truly asbestos-free environment both for working and living.
If you have asbestos anywhere in your home, let us help with the next step: asbestos removal. Our experienced and certified asbestos removal and asbestos remediation technicians can help keep you and your family safe. In the Toronto area call Environmental at (416) 818-9414. Contact us for a quote today.
Featured in Mike Holmes’ magazine, HGTV’s Income Properties, W Network’s Love It Or List It and chosen by Homestars.com as “Best Toronto Asbestos Removal Company” based on customer ratings and reviews, GreenStream Environmental Services are fully-certified, trusted and insured professionals in the removal and disposal of commercial, industrial, institutional and residential asbestos, vermiculite and mould (hazardous and non-hazardous). Providing emergency service 24/7/365 for all of Toronto and the GTA (North York, Mississauga, Markham, Brampton, Scarborough, Ajax, Oshawa, and beyond) GreenStream has over 40 combined years of experience serving clients such as the City of Toronto, the Toronto District School Board and many more. For a free estimate in Toronto, the GTA and Southern Ontario, call today at 416-818-9414. You’ll be glad you did.