North Bay City council recently got a look at a highly anticipated report on the investigation into the renovations of the North Bay Memorial Gardens Arena. As the story unfolds, it’s becoming clear that planners didn’t properly budget for a large and complex project that ended up involving mould and asbestos removal – among many other unanticipated costs.
The report focused on the key question on taxpayers’ minds – just what led to the project going $4 million over budget? One of the main issues identified in the report was that the originally budgeted amount of $12 million had virtually no substantiation. The investigators from KPMG concluded there was actually no budgetary process at all.
Along with a laundry list of budgetary and other problems that seemed to disadvantage the project before it had even gotten off the ground, the discovery of asbestos and mould and their removal added another major expenditure to the overall costs. The project required $600,000 for mould removal alone.
When it’s your own money and your own home at stake, you need to be much better prepared. An older home – built before the 1980’s – is likely to contain both mould and asbestos. (Although it’s important to note that mould can just as easily develop in newer homes under the right conditions.)
- Mould – can develop within 24 to 48 hours from a pinhole leak in plumbing inside a wall where you’ve never seen it. Your only clue may be a persistent musty odour and respiratory symptoms you can’t explain.
- Asbestos – was once used in a wide range of areas in the home and can appear mixed into various formulations, including acoustic ceiling and vinyl floor tiles, roofing materials, caulking, insulation and more.
For your safety and that of your family, environmental issues need to be dealt with by professionals before any other work can proceed.
GS Can Help
Our seasoned team of technicians can offer services to help you deal with environmental issues in your home.
- Mould Removal – we use a multi-faceted process that helps to ensure that mould is removed entirely and effectively.
- Asbestos Removal – our experienced technicians offer safe and professional asbestos removal using a multi-step process.
- Asbestos Remediation – including siding, tiles, attic, stucco, insulation, popcorn ceilings and more.
In the Toronto area contact GreenStreamEnvironmental.ca at (416) 818-9414. Contact us for a quote today.
Featured in Mike Holmes’ magazine, HGTV’s Income Properties, W Network’s Love It Or List It and chosen by Homestars.com as “Best Toronto Asbestos Removal Company” based on customer ratings and reviews, GreenStream Environmental Services are fully-certified, trusted and insured professionals in the removal and disposal of commercial, industrial, institutional and residential asbestos, vermiculite and mould (hazardous and non-hazardous). Providing emergency service 24/7/365 for all of Toronto and the GTA (North York, Mississauga, Markham, Brampton, Scarborough, Ajax, Oshawa, and beyond) GreenStream has over 40 combined years of experience serving clients such as the City of Toronto, the Toronto District School Board and many more. For a free estimate in Toronto, the GTA and Southern Ontario, call today at 416-818-9414. You’ll be glad you did.
Are You Ready To Get Started?
Drop us a line to get a quote today!
Connect With Us
GreenStream Environmental Inc.
Tel: (416) 818-9414