An older home is a source of pride. They truly are a piece of history, and many feature distinctive design and architectural details that speak to their place in time. The silhouette of a Victorian townhouse is unmistakable, for example, as are the sleek bungalows of mid-century modernism.
Older vs. Historic Homes
When the house itself is of significant historic interest, either by reason of age, or perhaps it housed an important figure or event, the focus is on preservation rather than renovation. Instead of upgrades and renovations, maintenance is the key element that comes into play.
Historic homes can contain a wide variety of toxic materials that are now banned from residential construction, including asbestos along with lead. Asbestos might be found in a variety of places in a home that was built before the mid-1980s, including,
- Roofing tiles;
- Attic insulation (vermiculite);
- Ceiling and floor tiles;
- Wall panels;
- Textured paints;
- Textures “popcorn” ceilings;
- And much more.
By definition, a historic building does contain asbestos in some form or another. The attempt to maintain time honoured features means constant vigilance.
- It doesn’t take much for very old materials to crumble. Asbestos may be virtually indestructible, but the paint, vinyl, or other material it has been mixed with is not, and it will deteriorate over time no matter what.
- The key is to document where the asbestos containing materials are, and to conduct periodic checks on the stability and integrity of the material.
- When it comes to designated historic buildings, any work on the home may be subject to municipal, provincial, or even national regulation, as the case may be.
We Can Help
You can trust the experienced asbestos removal experts and asbestos remediation experts at Green Stream Environmental to take care of your asbestos issues. In the Toronto area contact Environmental at (416) 818-9414. Contact us for a quote today.
Featured in Mike Holmes’ magazine, HGTV’s Income Properties, W Network’s Love It Or List It and chosen by Homestars.com as “Best Toronto Asbestos Removal Company” based on customer ratings and reviews, GreenStream Environmental Services are fully-certified, trusted and insured professionals in the removal and disposal of commercial, industrial, institutional and residential asbestos, vermiculite and mould (hazardous and non-hazardous). Providing emergency service 24/7/365 for all of Toronto and the GTA (North York, Mississauga, Markham, Brampton, Scarborough, Ajax, Oshawa, and beyond) GreenStream has over 40 combined years of experience serving clients such as the City of Toronto, the Toronto District School Board and many more. For a free estimate in Toronto, the GTA and Southern Ontario, call today at 416-818-9414. You’ll be glad you did.
Are You Ready To Get Started?
Drop us a line to get a quote today!
Connect With Us
GreenStream Environmental Inc.
Tel: (416) 818-9414