We’ve been lucky enough to avoid the worst of winter weather so far here in Toronto and the GTA, but still, we all know there’s no escaping the inevitable. Winter will come, and with it, cold, damp weather that can bring on a slew of problems, including mould.
Here are some tips on what to incorporate into your home winterizing routine to avoid mould growth and the health problems it can cause.
When you first start up the furnace after a nice long summer, it’s not unusual to notice a bit of a musty smell. If it lasts less than a day, it’s typically just the dust that has accumulated through the warmer season. It burns off pretty quickly, and changing the air filters will help.
- If the must odour persists, then it may be mould. Sometimes, air conditioning systems can cause condensation to build up in the air ducts. Mould may start to grow, and then disperse throughout your home. A duct cleaning may be in order, along with mould removal procedures.
Regularly inspecting your home and then repairing any leaks and deficiencies promptly will save you a lot of time and money getting rid of mould and its after effects later on.
- Make sure your roof is sound – look for stained, curling, worn or missing shingles.
- Check the eavestroughing – make sure gutters are clear and any downspouts flow away from the house.
- Inspect any siding or other outside wall covering to ensure integrity – look for cracks or gaps in the siding material, brick or mortar.
- Inspect windows for leaks, and fill in any gaps with VOC-free sealant.
- Make sure your dryer is venting outside, and that the vent is kept clear;
- Make sure attics and basements are free of leaks.
Avoiding moisture build-up is the key to avoiding mould growth.
We Can Help
If you are dealing with mould in your home, we can help. You can trust the experienced mould removal experts at Green Stream Environmental to take care of your environmental issues. In the Toronto area contact Environmental at (416) 818-9414. Contact us for a quote today.
Featured in Mike Holmes’ magazine, HGTV’s Income Properties, W Network’s Love It Or List It and chosen by Homestars.com as “Best Toronto Asbestos Removal Company” based on customer ratings and reviews, GreenStream Environmental Services are fully-certified, trusted and insured professionals in the removal and disposal of commercial, industrial, institutional and residential asbestos, vermiculite and mould (hazardous and non-hazardous). Providing emergency service 24/7/365 for all of Toronto and the GTA (North York, Mississauga, Markham, Brampton, Scarborough, Ajax, Oshawa, and beyond) GreenStream has over 40 combined years of experience serving clients such as the City of Toronto, the Toronto District School Board and many more. For a free estimate in Toronto, the GTA and Southern Ontario, call today at 416-818-9414. You’ll be glad you did.
Are You Ready To Get Started?
Drop us a line to get a quote today!
Connect With Us
GreenStream Environmental Inc.
Tel: (416) 818-9414