According to the most recent statistics from StatsCan, the number of cases of cancer caused by asbestos exposure is on the rise. Despite the fact that the federal government is moving towards an official ban, the results of asbestos exposure take decades to manifest themselves. That means it will get worse before it gets better.
The first cases of mesothelioma and asbestos exposure cancer that came to light were largely the result of industrial and work exposure, and then there was another wave from the families of those workers who inhaled asbestos fibres from their clothes. The so-called third wave of asbestos victims is now coming from exposure to asbestos from existing structures – often from DIY renovations.
If your home was built before the mid-1980s, there is a good possibility it contains asbestos in some form. Here are some tips on how to avoid it.
- Be aware that asbestos may be located virtually anywhere in your home from floor tiles to ceiling tiles, textured paints and popcorn ceilings, often mixed with other materials such as linoleum or cement.
- Asbestos and asbestos containing materials (ACM) are considered safe as long as they are intact.
- Anything, however, that damages or disturbs the material, which can include home renovations, home theatre stereo or security system installation, floods, and fires, can release the dust which can be inhaled.
Keep these points in mind:
- Know where there is asbestos in your home by getting an inspection from a certified business.
- Those areas will need to be monitored on a regular basis for damage and deterioration.
- If you are planning renovations or installations that will involve cutting into walls or other structures, that asbestos inspection is doubly important.
- The safest way forward is to let our experienced asbestos removal technicians take care of the problem efficiently.
Asbestos In Your Home?
If your home contains asbestos or ACM, we can help. You can trust the experienced asbestos removal experts and asbestos remediation experts at Green Stream Environmental to take care of your environmental issues. In the Toronto area contact Environmental at (416) 818-9414. Contact us for a quote today.
Featured in Mike Holmes’ magazine, HGTV’s Income Properties, W Network’s Love It Or List It and chosen by Homestars.com as “Best Toronto Asbestos Removal Company” based on customer ratings and reviews, GreenStream Environmental Services are fully-certified, trusted and insured professionals in the removal and disposal of commercial, industrial, institutional and residential asbestos, vermiculite and mould (hazardous and non-hazardous). Providing emergency service 24/7/365 for all of Toronto and the GTA (North York, Mississauga, Markham, Brampton, Scarborough, Ajax, Oshawa, and beyond) GreenStream has over 40 combined years of experience serving clients such as the City of Toronto, the Toronto District School Board and many more. For a free estimate in Toronto, the GTA and Southern Ontario, call today at 416-818-9414. You’ll be glad you did.
Are You Ready To Get Started?
Drop us a line to get a quote today!
Connect With Us
GreenStream Environmental Inc.
Tel: (416) 818-9414