Let’s hope that spring weather comes sometime soon to the GTA – because what we’ve had so far this April has been a nightmare. From cold and rainy, to snow, to a few sunny days with warmer weather scattered between them, there’s a lot of hazards that homeowners can face. One that you may not be aware of is mould.
Hot or Cold – Mould Growth
You may be assuming that, since the warmer weather hasn’t arrived yet, mould isn’t as much of an issue. That’s not correct. Fluctuations in temperature and cold spells can actually enhance the conditions where mould is likely to grow.
- Remember that ventilation is key – when it’s cold outside, we tend to shut the windows, and our modern energy efficient homes can mean that any moisture trapped inside the house can make humidity levels rise.
- Turning up the thermostat creates warm air, and without outside ventilate, can create condensation that cannot dry out.
There are some areas of the home that are more prone to mould than others.
- Drywall and sheetrock – on the exterior;
- Look in the bends and corners of the home;
- Check in attics and basements;
- Corner rooms are exposed to more cold air, and have higher relative humidity levels.
There needs to be a good balance between humidity and temperature – not too cold, not too moist.
- Humidity levels should be below 60% – ideally between 35% and 45%.
- A dehumidifier in a problematic room is often enough to bring it down to acceptable levels;
- Set your ceiling fans to spin in reverse to circulate air adequately;
- Keep ducts and filters clean;
- Drain water from any condensation pans;
- Use exhaust fans in the kitchen and bathroom to draw humid air out;
- Inspect the basement for any issues that can contribute to moisture and mould, including mortar leaks, drainage systems, and others;
- Keep crawl spaces dry;
- Keep an eye on roof and windows for leakage and make repairs as necessary.
Whether your house is new or old, you need to be vigilant, especially when the weather is as crazy as ours in the Toronto area. Remember that mould spores can begin to grow within 24 to 48 hours when moisture lingers.
We Can Help
If you are dealing with mould in your home, we can help. You can trust the experienced mould removal experts at Green Stream Environmental to take care of your environmental issues. In the Toronto area contact Environmental at (416) 818-9414. Contact us for a quote today.
Featured in Mike Holmes’ magazine, HGTV’s Income Properties, W Network’s Love It Or List It and chosen by Homestars.com as “Best Toronto Asbestos Removal Company” based on customer ratings and reviews, GreenStream Environmental Services are fully-certified, trusted and insured professionals in the removal and disposal of commercial, industrial, institutional and residential asbestos, vermiculite and mould (hazardous and non-hazardous). Providing emergency service 24/7/365 for all of Toronto and the GTA (North York, Mississauga, Markham, Brampton, Scarborough, Ajax, Oshawa, and beyond) GreenStream has over 40 combined years of experience serving clients such as the City of Toronto, the Toronto District School Board and many more. For a free estimate in Toronto, the GTA and Southern Ontario, call today at 416-818-9414. You’ll be glad you did.
Are You Ready To Get Started?
Drop us a line to get a quote today!
Canadian-owned and operated, we provide emergency service 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. A Certified Mould & Asbestos Removal Company.
Learn More About Us
Connect With Us
GreenStream Environmental Inc.
Tel: (416) 818-9414