Summer has finally come to Toronto and the GTA, and with high temperatures inevitably come high humidity. Humidity is simply water vapour in the air, so it’s not just the discomfort when you venture outside that you need to worry about.
The Mould-Humidity Link
Indoor humidity is directly related to air quality, and can lead to mould growth. There are two ways that humidity can lead to mould growth.
- If you have leaks in plumbing, or any other lingering water, anywhere in your home, high humidity indoors will prevent it from fully drying out. Mould only needs 24 to 48 hours to begin to take hold.
- High humidity, by itself, can lead to mould growth. How high is too high? About 60% humidity.
- Ideal indoor humidity levels should range between 30% and 50% at most.
If you are concerned, you can buy an inexpensive tool called a hygrometer to measure humidity levels in your home. Mould will grow where it can find food, and it loves cellulose. It can grow on a variety of materials commonly found in the home, including:
- Drywall and plaster;
What’s the answer?
Reducing humidity and making sure there is adequate ventilation in your home will reduce the risk of mould growth.
- Air conditioning may not be enough – a dehumidifier is a good investment in indoor air quality.
- Be sure to keep the dehumidifier clean and disinfected so that it can operate properly.
We Can Help
If you are dealing with mould in your home, we can help. You can trust the experienced mould removal experts at Green Stream Environmental to take care of your environmental issues. In the Toronto area contact Environmental at (416) 818-9414. Contact us for a quote today.
Featured in Mike Holmes’ magazine, HGTV’s Income Properties, W Network’s Love It Or List It and chosen by Homestars.com as “Best Toronto Asbestos Removal Company” based on customer ratings and reviews, GreenStream Environmental Services are fully-certified, trusted and insured professionals in the removal and disposal of commercial, industrial, institutional and residential asbestos, vermiculite and mould (hazardous and non-hazardous). Providing emergency service 24/7/365 for all of Toronto and the GTA (North York, Mississauga, Markham, Brampton, Scarborough, Ajax, Oshawa, and beyond) GreenStream has over 40 combined years of experience serving clients such as the City of Toronto, the Toronto District School Board and many more. For a free estimate in Toronto, the GTA and Southern Ontario, call today at 416-818-9414. You’ll be glad you did.
Are You Ready To Get Started?
Drop us a line to get a quote today!
Connect With Us
GreenStream Environmental Inc.
Tel: (416) 818-9414