A family of four moved from a small town in the Niagara Peninsula west of the GTA to what they thought was their dream home in cottage country about a year ago. When the two small girls in the family became ill not long after moving in, the culprit was found, to their parents horror – a widespread infestation of black toxic mould.
You might be assuming that the property in question was an old house with old problems – leaky windows or basement. You’d be wrong. The couple was told their home was built in 2016, but stood unoccupied until it was purchased in 2018.
- Within one week of moving in, the children age one and three developed a fever;
- The oldest daughter was hospitalized with strep throat.
Despite taking medications, their health problems did not go away. About a month later, the couple began to renovate, and that’s when they discovered mould literally everywhere – underneath every floor, carpet, behind baseboards, underneath coats of paint.
What’s more, when the mould was tested, it was discovered to contain high levels of stachybotrys, or toxic black mould, a known health hazard.
The couple moved out, and have been looking for answers ever since, aided by a recent news story.
- It turns out construction began in 2006 – a decade before they had been told it had.
- The foundation had been built and then left to the elements for several years.
- Then, a pre-fab modular home was added on top of the foundation, but it too sat unfinished for years.
It was, in fact, a recipe for a mould infestation.
Mould is no joke
Mould spores can grow wherever moisture lingers for a mere 48 hours. An unfinished home left open to the weather will undoubtedly accumulate moisture in some areas unless it is properly sealed off. In older homes, leaky windows, plumbing, and roofs, or a damp basement is all you need for mould to begin to take hold.
Mould can cause a host of health issues, and small children and the elderly are particularly at risk.
- Chronic coughing, wheezing;
- Nose, eye, and throat irritation;
- Respiratory problems;
- Worsened allergies;
- Fever and other flu-like symptoms.
We Can Help
Our mould removal experts have years of experience, and will ensure that your environmental issue is eliminated efficiently. Mould can grow into walls, floors, and even carpets. If you smell that telltale musty odour, give us a call.
Let our technicians help keep you and your family safe. In the Toronto area call GreenStream Environmental at (416) 818-9414. Contact us for a quote today.
Featured in Mike Holmes’ magazine, HGTV’s Income Properties, W Network’s Love It Or List It and chosen by Homestars.com as “Best Toronto Asbestos Removal Company” based on customer ratings and reviews, GreenStream Environmental Services are fully-certified, trusted and insured professionals in the removal and disposal of commercial, industrial, institutional and residential asbestos, vermiculite and mould (hazardous and non-hazardous). Providing emergency service 24/7/365 for all of Toronto and the GTA (North York, Mississauga, Markham, Brampton, Scarborough, Ajax, Oshawa, and beyond) GreenStream has over 40 combined years of experience serving clients such as the City of Toronto, the Toronto District School Board and many more. For a free estimate in Toronto, the GTA and Southern Ontario, call today at 416-818-9414. You’ll be glad you did.
Are You Ready To Get Started?
Drop us a line to get a quote today!
Connect With Us
GreenStream Environmental Inc.
Tel: (416) 818-9414